Search This Blog

Friday, February 9, 2001

My Gay Agenda

I'm an American. I'm Christian. I'm gay, and always have been. I pay property taxes, sales taxes, and Federal taxes. I serve on a board at the University, and I support local charities. I support my alma mater. I work very hard for my employer of 24+ years. I buy things from local merchants when I can, and I believe that strong families build strong communities. I'm a Freemason. I'm in Mensa. I recycle. I buy girl scout cookies. I teach the concealed handgun licensing course. I'm raising my 8th guide dog puppy for the blind. I play bingo with friends & neighbors. My parents are aging, and I wonder what the future will hold for their health and mobility. I spoil my niece and nephew. I manage my investments and prepare for retirement. I'm fiscally conservative. I do the laundry. I help my neighbors when they have computer problems, and they repay me with baked goods.

Does someone want to show me the "gay agenda" in that?

Does someone want to tell me why I deserve to be part of a "second class" that can't enjoy all the benefits of living in this great nation and this great state?

I'm like a lot of people - except that I can't get married, absent protections from my forward-thinking employer I could be fired just for being gay, and can be in a relationship for 4 months, 4 years, 14 years, or 40 years and still be treated as strangers in the eyes of the State (while Britney Spears can get married on a drunken whim and immediately get all the rights & responsibilities of marriage: THAT is the crap from which marriage needs to be protected).

I would never force any church to marry gay folks; if they don't want to extend the welcome God extends to all His children, then I don't want to be a part of that community. There are plenty of welcoming churches (and Justices of the Peace) out there. But the "full faith & credit" clause of our great nation needs to be honored.

There's only one thing that I wrote that "entitles" me to equal treatment under the law, and that's my first three words: "I'm an American."

1 comment:

  1. My Gay Agenda for Friday, 27 Feb 2012:

    I have the day off, so:
    -Workout, breakfast, TV.
    -Build some bee-hive boxes&frames I bought, more TV.
    -Buy stuff for dinner and cook a Greek Potato Casserole.
    -Game night with friends, more TV, read my book.

    So Sticky Ricky Santorum (www.spreadingsantorum.com), show me the societal collapse...

    ReplyDelete