Search This Blog

Thursday, April 11, 2013

It starts today.

2:09 A.M.; have been up for an hour - just like last night. Trying to get an early jump on jetlag (it usually helps on trips to Asia & Australia.

I've been 99.9% finished with packing since Saturday. Occasionally I'll think, "You know, I should take ... (a baseball cap. an extra pen. some notecards. more business cards.)" and I can easily add them. I'm taking 4 sets of clothes in addition to what I'll wear. A small pharmacy "just in case". More technology than existed when I started at IBM 25 1/2 years ago. My Nikon digital SLR, a couple of lenses (including my big zoom lens) and a good flash. Chargers. Connectors. A few snacks. And the 11.5 pounds of tchotchkes IBM asked me to take "if I had some extra space" (ha). This may be one of the 2 times I've ever had to check a second bag, but it's a discardable one ... unless it's full of prezzies coming home.

I'm vaccinated against typhoid,  and start the malaria prophylaxis this morning. Had my last allergy shot for 5 weeks yesterday. Still have the cough from my mini-flu two weeks ago, and it gets a little better every day.

My team at work has been terrific on picking up items to cover in my absence.

First flight at 12:15 today (getting to the airport way early to participate in just a couple of calls before I disconnect): first stop Washington DC, then Zurich, then Nairobi (just a quick stop), then Dar es Salaam tomorrow night at 8:05 local time. Then some sleep, and a weekend full of meetings, and getting over jet lag.

Can't wait!

Let the travel begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment